Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Sleep battles

Avery is a snuggler. That is code for she doesn't want to be set down especially if she is sleeping. SO all day we go round and round. I wait till she falls asleep and then put her in the bassinet. After backing quietly out of the room I run and get something done real quick like fold towels or wash my face, by the time I have the task done she is usually awake and mad. SOOO I pick her up and carry her around until she falls asleep again. Cade also lays in wait for these opportunities when I put her down. He sees my arms are empty and gives me his biggest smile, puts his arms up and says "Momma, Momma up!" It is hard trying to sneak in enough snuggle time with him too. Every now and then I get lucky and Avery will stay down for a couple of hours. I am determined to have her sleep by herself. Cade was always a great sleeper so this is a little bit frustrating. Cade even says "thank you " when you put him in his crib at night now. She sleeps so much better in bed with me at night but I don't want her in bed with me. I sleep better with her in the bassinet...when she sleeps in it. I usually give in and end up with her happy.We sit on the floor with Avery a lot and read books, play trucks, or play with Cades's barn animals. He has been wanting to hold Avery lately. I make him sit on the floor and help support her in his lap. He bends over smothers her in kisses and then is ready to move on to the next thing.
We have started trying to get Avery to take a bottle, of course she is not impressed at all. We have five weeks left to get her convinced. It took Cade a couple weeks to convince him. Cade has a fascination with plugging things in. I walked around a corner yesterday and found Cade had plugged in the baby monitor and was really proud of himself, but he knows he isn't supposed to be playing with plug in so he gave me his best "that's really funny huh mom" grin. Which is pretty hard to resist.

The one time Avery has really slept good so far has been all around Walmart in her car seat. So I hope she keeps that up at least until I get her on the bottle. I can't imagine trying to breastfeed in walmart, although I've made sure I know where the dressing rooms are just in case.


No comments: